Wednesday, March 11, 2009

# 7, Check

Yea! I'm mostly back on track, and I'm checking in to let y'all know that I finally made the grand purchase of a grain mill. I mentioned that I would really like to start soaking or sprouting my grains as well, but truly, it took me a few months to make one purchase, so I'm glad my goal was small. Anyway, thanks to generous birthday gifts from my parents and grandparents, I went in search of the right mill for me, ending up with the Nutrimill (scroll down). It shipped today, and I can't wait to unveil it at home!
There are so many reasons why a person should mill their own flour, but my main reasons were:

1. Cost - buy grains in bulk for lower prices and mill them as needed.

2. Variety - I can make loaves of bread, crackers, rolls, desserts out of whatever combination of grain pleases me. I suspect there will be a lot of spelt/wheat combinations, but I'm excited to try kamut and brown rice.

3. Nutrition - Most of the flour from the grocery store was milled a LONG time ago, leaving the essential fats to go rancid and turn into free radicals. Although it is debated, most people agree that flour that sits around on shelves slowly looses some of the mineral content as it ages.

If you're interested, here is more info on WHY to mill at home.

Also, if you're interested in where the future might take me, here and here are simple explanations of soaking flour.

___________________________________

In other news, the morning sickness is all but gone. I feel almost awesome, evidenced by the 12 (yes, ma'am!) loads of laundry completed yesterday. Thank you for praying for me!

We're heading out of town tonight to visit Eric's mom who recently had both knees replaced. Yea for a little getaway, yea for new knees and a new lease on life. Eva is psyched to see the big scars, and I'm psyched to see the new foot of snow they welcomed yesterday.

So, perhaps there will be some downtime while we're away and I will post something. Maybe :).

No comments: