Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nutty Power Bars

This is one of my most favorite recipes! You'll see- it's simple, yummy, and really healthy. Generally, these bars do best when they're refrigerated, so they are not ideal picnic fare, but they're still delicious even when they get a little goopy from the heat.

I adapted this recipe to be cheaper and use ingredients that we have around the house, but here's the original recipe.
Nutty Power Bars
2 c. raw nuts (I've used almonds and cashews)
1/2 c. flax meal (I grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder)
1/2 c. shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 c. nut butter (I've used almond and peanut)
1/2 t. celtic sea salt (skip this if you used salted nut butter)
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1 T. vanilla extract
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate!!! this is optional, but I would miss it!)
1. Place first 5 ingredients in food processor and pulse for 10 seconds or a until you like the texture.
2. Stir coconut oil, agave nectar, and vanilla together.
3. Add liquid ingredients to nut mixture and pulse briefly until a coarse paste forms.
4. Press into an 8x8 glass dish and refrigerate 1 hour.
5. Melt chocolate over the stove on low heat, stirring often. Spread chocolate over nut mixture and refrigerate until firm.
Most of the ingredients are a powerhouse of nutrition, and foods that we rarely get enough of in our daily diets. Click on the links to learn why you can feel so good about eating these scrumptious goodies. I have to add, I LOVE these during pregnancy or when I'm breastfeeding and I struggle to get enough healthy fats and protein in my diet. These bars really make me feel good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becca!
I made these bars this past weekend and they are AWESOME!!! I didn't have the Coconut Oil, so I substituted Canola instead. What kind of Coconut Oil do you use? I also found that Agave Nectar is amazing. I am going to use it instead of sugar. I've shared this recipe with my family and friends! It's the best! :)
Love ya,
Elizabeth Bishop Holton (Anna's sister)