Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Red Sage Quinoa Bread

A few weeks ago I described this delicious bread that my sister in law makes. Somebody asked for the recipe, and I've been wanting to try it for a while too, so here you go:

***This is a bread machine recipe, but it translates easily to a regular recipe if you know how to bake bread from scratch. The only thing that Jessica does differently perhaps, is using her own fresh ground flour and ground cayenne peppers from her garden. I don't know if that produces a significantly different product or not.***

Red Sage Quinoa Bread

"The combination of sage and quinoa results in an aromatic, earthy bread that is good with chicken dishes, including chicken soup. The soft texture of this bread also makes great rolls (truly, they are GREAT). Red sage is an herb with a bright red flower; looks like a minature version of Indian Paintbrush. It is rare and not easily available to the home cook."

1 c. dry quinoa

2 1/2 c. water ----- complete first step of prep.

1 c. water

2 T. lukewarm milk

1/2 c. whole wheat flour

3 c. bread flour

2 1/2 t. salt

3 T. dried rubbed sage

1 T. chile molindo (ground chile peppers)

2 t. active dry yeast

2 T. canola or corn oil (use olive oil???)

12 fresh sage leaves, coarsely ground (pretty sure Jessica does not use Red Sage as described above)

Place the quinoa and 2-1/2 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the quinoa expands and becomes fluffy. Drain the quinoa and place in a measuring bowl. There should be about 2 cups of cook quinoa. Set aside.

Bread Machine Instructions: 1. Combine the ingredients, except the fresh sage, in the bread pan in the order specified by the manufacturers instructions. 2. Process on the sweet or raisin bread setting. 3. Add the fresh sage at the beeps. TRADITIONAL YIELD: 2 loaves or 16 rolls.

***Using my bread machine, I would layer all the wet ingredients (milk, water, cooked quinoa) first, then add all the dry ingredients (flour, etc.), followed by the oil, lastly followed by the yeast in a small hole in the middle of the dry ingredients. I'm not sure how much bread machines vary, so I would check your users manual!***

MMMMMM, Enjoy!

PS) I found a recipe for a traditional loaf here. And a reminder- try it toasted!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Hey, Becca. This is Terri's sis-in-law. I made your Mocha Chocolate Cake recipe after Christmas, and it was gooood. A little pricey and time consuming, but worth it for birthdays and such. David is asking for it for his. I'm planning to try this bread later. Thanks for posting recipes!

Becca said...

Ellen,
I totally agree about the cake being pricey and time consuming (like 3 hours the first time I made it... though I probably was interrupted 40 times:). BUT it is delicious, isn't it! Have fun with the bread, let me know how it turns out!