Saturday, February 07, 2009

Basil Breakfast Torte

We celebrated the upcoming birth of a dear friend today with a big, festive church baby shower. There are so many creative and crafty ladies in our church, and it was so fun to see some of the things that they made for the baby boy. Check out these cute blankets that one friend makes and sells!

I made one of my favorite breakfast/brunch recipes and since a few people asked for the recipe, I thought I would post it here. However, I must give this disclaimer for all my friends who have been digging in with FPU: This recipe would absolutely not be Dave Ramsey approved. And with my renewed grocery budget commitment, this recipe might be sidelined for awhile. Here it is before being baked... I think it's pretty!
Basil Breakfast Torte
I am posting the original recipe, but as always, I made some adjustments (this recipe takes kindly to substitutions...I always make it a little different). I'll post my adjustments in blue.

1 c. milk
1/2 c. dry white wine (cooking wine)
1 loaf French bread, 1/2 " slices
8 oz. sliced prosciutto ham (I usually skip this)
2 c. arugula or spinach (I've never tried arugula)
3 T. olive oil
1 lb. cheese, mixture of basil feta and mozzarella
3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1/2 c. basil pesto
4-5 eggs (I usually use 8 eggs)
salt/pepper
1/2 c. whipping cream (yesterday I used almost a cup of whole milk)

Mix milk and wine in shallow bowl. Dip bread slices in mixture and squeeze out excess. Spray or grease 9x13 pan. Place half of bread in pan. Layer half of each: ham arugula, olive oil, cheese, tomatoes, pesto. Layer again with rest of ingredients starting with bread and ending with tomatoes and pesto. Beat eggs with salt/pepper and pour over torte. Cover and refrigerate. Take out and warm to room temp. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle cream over the top. Bake covered, 45-60 min. or until set. I usually mix the cream with the eggs and pour over the night before. Usually I do not wait to bring the dish to room temperature before baking, but add 15 minutes or so to the cooking time.

Buon appetito!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yay! Thanks Becca! And way to plug "snuggle rag"! That might get her to page 2!